Saturday, February 4, 2012

Wiping out the WIPS

In the knitting world, we refer to a work in progress as a WIP and I have a BIG bag of them....and a few other big bags of them at my parents' house.  Now that I'm all caught up on commissions (btw if you want a Link,  a Chaos Afghan, or even a Joker, I finally have time to make one), I'm starting to work through my bag of WIPS.  I've found some pretty cool stuff that I completely forgot about in there.
One thing I found was The Joker...and he's not even really a work in progress.  I'm all done knitting him, I've just been meaning to get him set up to mount on a wall.
This might be one of the coolest things I've ever knit.  It's called an "illusion knit" and its made entirely of solid color stripes.  On each stripe I follow a chart and switch between knit and purl stitches, so that when you look at it from an angle, you see the image.  I became aware of the illusion knitting technique from a website called Woolly Thoughts, but my awesome boyfriend figured out how to design the patterns himself so I can make whatever image I want.
I also found the rainbow spectrum afghan I mentioned in my last post, and I'm getting close to finishing it!  I'm currently working on attaching the 2nd to the last row of squares.  I'm really looking forward to seeing this finished.  Even though I've had a plan of how I would assemble it from the start, it's just impossible to realize the full effect of the color flow until it's all finished.  Hopefully I'll be posting back with pictures of the finished product in a couple days.  My afghans have been by far the best sellers in my shop, so I'm excited to add this one to the product line.

No comments:

Post a Comment